Table of Contents
Participation in the FlexPlan Study
- Is there a time limit to sign up for FlexPlan?
- Sign-ups for the FlexPlan Study will be assigned to eligible participants on a first-come first-served basis. The offer to participate will expire on the
date shown in your invitation, or when the participant spots are filled up, whichever comes first.
- Do I have to participate?
- No. Paricipation in the FlexPlan Study is strictly voluntary. You will not be penalized if you decide not to participate. Regardless of your
decision, Hydro One will continue to supply you with electricity as per the Hydro One Conditions of Service.
- Am I eligible to participate in the FlexPlan Study?
- Eligibility to Participate is by Hydro One invitation only. Participants must also meet the eligibility criteria; agree to the Terms and Conditions, and complete two surveys.
- What are the qualifications to participate?
- To be accepted in the FlexPlan Study, all participants must:
- Plan on living at their home until at least the end of June 2016
- Own and reside at the address included in their invitation
- Not be away from their home for more than 3 weeks between July 2015 and June 2016
- Agree to complete 2 surveys - one at the start and one at the end of the study
- Carefully read and agree to the FlexPlan Study Terms and Conditions
- In addition, participants may require the following:
- Have a high-speed internet connection (DSL or Cable)
- GE Electric Meter attached to or within 60m (200ft) from the home, accessible without a key, and not higher than 3m (10ft) from the ground
- Customers receiving Energate equipment must:
- Have central air conditioning (not window units) OR have their home heated by a heat pump or electric furnace (not baseboards).
- I received an invitation. Does this mean I'm automatically enrolled in the FlexPlan Study?
- No, you will need to register by entering the invitation code in the flexplan.mcmaster.ca website, answering some qualifying questions, reviewing and agreeing to the
Terms and Conditions and completing the initial survey. Provided that you meet the eligibility criteria and there is a vacant spot, you will receive a confirmation
email from McMaster once your enrollment is accepted.
- What If I have an enquiry about the FlexPlan Study?
- If the issue is related to the FlexPlan Study, please send an email with sufficient information about the nature of your enquiry to email@example.com and someone from the research team will get back to you shortly.
- What if I have an enquiry about Hydro One bill or electricity service?
- For questions about your Hydro One bill or for issues related to electricity outages, fallen tree hazards or emergencies, please contact Hydro One as per the contact information shown on your bill.
Rates and Billing
- What if FlexPlan costs me more?
- There is no risk that participating in FlexPlan will cost you more. If you would have paid more under the FlexPlan rates as compared to your current rates, you will not receive a rebate
for that month, but you will not owe anything either.
- Will my information be kept private?
- Yes. Your electricity consumption and completed survey information will be kept private. Results from the FlexPlan Study will only be shown on a aggregate basis
(electricity consumption of all participants) thereby maintaining your privacy.
- Who will have access to my energy consumption?
- By participating in this study, you are consenting to Hydro One providing McMaster with your hourly electricity consumption during the 12 month FlexPlan Study
along with your historical electricity usage. Any reports issued from this pilot will only include aggregate, non-identifiable information.
- Will Hydro One or McMaster control my Thermostat
- No. You will have full control of you thermostat